Translate

Friday, October 19, 2012

Spirits in the Material World

While not having the faintest inkling about the reasons behind Spain's faltering economy, (besides things like housing bubbles and socialized medicine and inflation) I have found it fascinating to experience how other countries handle and distribute their moneys.

I was going to Caja Laboral  the closest bank to the apartment for use of their ATM. Until one afternoon while as I was watching a hand reached from inside the ATM and started turning keys et al and took a large box from inside the back of the machine. This was all done while I standing there with my card in the machine :) NOT a good feeling! Yes I realize that someone somewhere is recording my financial activities for prosperity (and credit ratings) but this will simply not do.


It was all very 'ghost in the machine'.....   ;) 

The other thing I have noticed is that the Spaniards use paper record books. You know the type we used in the 70's, those adorable little vinyl-covered booklets that we all used to record Christmas gifts from Grandma. They take the books and insert them into the machine and the machine imprints the transaction onto a page of the booklet. Not me. No, i would take my little Hello Kitty pencil and dutifully record my expenses.

Another instance I came up to a machine and a gentleman told me that the ATM had no cash. In all of my decades of using one, I have never once experienced an ATM that did not have cash in its supply.

Finally and most disturbing of all is the large number of banks in Spain. Within a mile radius I am privy to at least a half-dozen different banking institutions. Barclay's, Santander, Caja Laboral, Corte Ingles.....it's bizarre.



I sense a connection between the number of banks and the fiscal health of a nation. The financial brevity of a nation is in direct correlation to its population of banks. The higher number of banks the taller the cliff the nation is on the brink of.

Just an observation.


No comments:

Post a Comment