Translate

Monday, October 29, 2012

Munich (10/24) Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall) and Frauenkirche

After a rich and filling meal at the Hofbrau Haus the night before (with swinging beer steins and sauerbraten) I let the children sleep in the next morning and took off by myself again to explore Munich. This was our last full day in the city and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I toured through the Viktualeinmarket and then found a tour for the Alter Peter, one of the many churches found around Marienplatz. 

Didn't even know what the tour was for, but I decided to wing it. The tour was a good steady climb up into Alter Peter's tower. Not sure of the elevation gain or number of floors (I thought I saw a Number 13 at one point) but it was a good steady climb for about 10 minutes. The stairs were old and smooth, steep and narrow and bit tight in some spots, but well worth the trip up. I was glad to have made the hike. At the top was a viewing balcony from where you could see all of Munich. 


The Frauenkurche is the two rounded towers. 

Neues Rathaus






Clock face at the Toy Museum :) 


At 11 and 12 the Rathaus rings the Glockenspiel, a sweet little clock in the center of the Neues Rathaus.


Here's a video of it if you want the full effect.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9fNIwDL20




Tradition to place a monogrammed padlock with you and your love's names on them. 


Wrought iron fence detail.




                                                               It was a fun morning. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment