Translate

Monday, November 12, 2012

These boots are made for walkin

Got me some new boots last week. The woman at the store was very patient with me. We talked about socks and sizes in my pigeon Spanglish. 


They are incredibly comfortable and I wear them nearly every day. It has gotten very cold here and it is nice getting to wear something else besides my sneakers or other boots every day. Leather is very inexpensive here, I think these were 50 euro.




(and here is my best 'I have to pee but look at my boots pose'--- so popular now.

...just noticed the mold staining the hallway again. They don't have bathroom fans in our apartment. Those are considered a luxury. As a result the paint above our shower stall is peeling off in large segments. This is no run of the mill place either, it's a nice building in a good neighborhood. I think we have exceeded its moisture capacity though :). 
So far we have broken: two dining room chairs, three curtain rods, one windowshade, one bathroom door, broken two coffee mugs and one drinking glass. I feel terrible about it because we aren't really that clumsy or disrespectful of others' belongings. I promise for as much as we have traveled the only things we have broken on this journey are at our own little home. We feel like big American bulls in tiny Spanish teashops sometimes. (Did I mention i think Doe has grown taller on this trip? Either that or I have started collapsing on my myself ;). We sit down in laminate wood chairs and the four legs that are bent to support us splay under even the smallest child like a defiant donkey refusing to take its load. We think we might get through without having to buy another box of dish detergent but will definitely need another box of laundry soap. :P 

The town has signs that there is another strike here on Wednesday. Is, my apartment manager and go-to girl for all things Vitoria, said it will not be as involved as the previous one in October. She said, "Yeah businesses they don't do so well when they close for the day so not so many do it this time." I translated a flyer I picked up from the bus stop that said "No Representation No Solution No Social Programs". 

Makes the issues we face as Americans seem all the more petty. Glad to have gained perspective on this past week's current events. Like I keep reminding myself today; the downfall of the United States is pivotal for us as a nation but it doesn't seem nearly as impactful for those living in Europe. Was reminded that England ruled the world for nearly 500 years and the Han Dynasty ran all of China for over 2000 years! Spain's struggle is to find its own way now. A beautiful country that made it trademark being exploration of the New World needs to find another way to make its mark. 

We had a wonderful weekend though. Saw two great sites in two great days. Will update more tomorrow. 
Adio. 


No comments:

Post a Comment