Translate

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving

“That action is not warrantable which either fears to ask the divine blessing on its performance, or having succeeded, does not come with thanksgiving to God for its success.” ~ Francis Quarles


Really truly the last thing I wanted to do on Thanksgiving was sit at home reading everyone's Facebook posts about preparing for and/or devouring said holiday meal.
Being 8 hours here in Europe made for an interesting schedule. Just as I was getting ready to leave for our evening meal, friends were still in their jammies or had just placed their trussed, buttered and stuffed birds in the oven.
I thought I would miss the week before Thanksgiving. The numerous trips to the grocery store, the choice of Thanksgiving cooking wear (always button-down shirt, Levi's jeans and slippers) hair in a messy topknot and the hours of standing in front of the stove preparing the evening meal.


Now truth be told. I am an insane cook. Just like my mother before me, I can throw down a delicious meal. I have it down to almost a science, after recreating the same meal for nearly a decade without fail. Bear with me as I reminisce. {For all of you foodies out there here it is}

Afternoon appetizer is cream of pumpkin soup served in green gold-rimmed tea cups. The soup is pumpkin puree, cream of celery soup, diced, sauteed onions and one beaten egg deluded with chicken stock and then served sprinkled with sunflower seeds.
It it accompanied by popovers stuffed with cranberry and Brie cheese.
Dinner is always a big turkey with the loosened skin stuffed with softened butter, sage and marjoram, and the bird is filled with Pepperidge Farm stuffing, celery, onions and a few carrots. Lots of tender bathing and care taken in the roasting of that bird. Gravy is made from sauteeing chopped porcini mushrooms in stock and pan drippings from the bird's roasting pan, which has been dotted with roma tomatoes. Tomatoes  which subsequently get all saggy from the roasting process (you don't eat the tomatoes, I know it sounds weird, but the tomatoes add a certain depth to the gravy. The gravy takes on an almost beef flavor).
Then side dishes of mashed potatoes, more stuffing roasted in a pan, green bean casserole, romaine and mandarin orange salad and rolls. Then dessert is usually two pumpkin pies and two apple pies (apple pies are always made with Granny Smith which are always shredded). Vanilla ice cream, whipped topping and lots of good coffee and good wine and sparkling cider to wash it down with.
*Yum*.
Then we watch football and I fall asleep on the couch.
And truth be told, I like making our own meal in my own home.
I like being in my kitchen, my favorite room in the house, without having to dress up. We are grateful for all of the invitations...but it's really one of my my favorite days of the whole year to be home with my family.
So I was a little wary of being on Facebook and reading and seeing all of the turkey day posts.
 But truth be told, it helped a lot with the tug of homesickness I had been feeling that day. It wasn't really about what was being made in the kitchen, it was about what was being made in the home--cute turkey crafts and turkey desserts using Rolos and Oreo cookies. It brought comfort to have all of our friends send us wishes of Happy Thanksgiving and greetings for the holiday.
Because really it's about who you are most joyful and thankful for, and today I am most thankful for my beautiful children and loving spouse... and for those friends who took time out of their busy holiday to wish me well.
And I knew I was going to be okay. :)

Colossians 3:15  And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.



                                                                Happy Thanksgiving! <3




No comments:

Post a Comment