Translate

Monday, October 24, 2016

Expect the best

Bought Tank an LED flashing light bracelet that he can wear at night so he's more visible to cars. It's activated by motion and so it flashes when you wave your arm.
This evening as he was heading out for a short trip to his favorite skating spot I stopped him.
Tank where is your bracelet?
WHAT BRACELET? He roared, knowing full well of what bracelet I was speaking of.
The light-up one! I reminded him. I think it's  in your room.
"What are you KIDDING? Mom what are we, LIBERALS?"
As I was choking back the laughter I said No...not Liberals. But you're not going skating without it on.
"MOM! Get real. I hope you know as soon as I leave I'm putting it in my pocket."
That's fine I just want to see how it works.
"Mom it's motion-activated! It's not going to work unless I wave my arms like this (waving arms emphatically on cue)"
Laughing I said, just put it on.
Because he's my son and therefore the sweetest soul on the aplanet,  he acquiesces and wears the bracelet.
As he recedes into the black night I see two parallel green lights flashing rapidly on his right wrist.
"Way to go Tank! It looks really cool! Woo hoo you're such a great kid!"
Amazingly when he returned he still wore the LED bracelet. Maybe he took it off in the street around the corner.
But my job is to believe and trust that he kept that bracelet on the whole trip. Because I want to expect the best from kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment