Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

We did it. We fell in Love with an Orange Cat

Riley died today.
So sad.
Beloved found him in the middle of the road in front of our house. No one deserves to be taken like this. Poor little guy I am so sorry I wasn't there to help you through this. I am so sorry.

...In 2005 when Doe was almost 9, the conversation started about getting a cat.
Some friends of ours told us that they knew of a cat who'd just had kittens. We drove over to their house to investigate. Mom was a beautiful black and gray striped tabby cat with short hair. Dad was either unknown or unseen upon visitation.
We saw this brilliant white and orange striped kitten with a kind open face and fell in love. We put him in a large cardboard box and as were discussing what to name him (He's sort of red it should start with an 'R'? Rusty? Nah? Riley? Yeah!) he took it upon himself to climb out of the box and with much fanfare started clambering around the car.
Those kids...they can't get me in here, can they? (2005) 

Riley was a good friend. He assured his place in our hearts early on, by the time he was a year old he was chasing down 18-in long garter snakes that would sun themselves in the juniper bushes by our front driveway. One hot summer day I found a dead snake our driveway coiled up, Riley mowling incessantly and VERY loudly to announce what he had done. Coming out to investigate, bringing Tank and Bumpo with me (then all of ages 4 and 2) he stood there and crowed his achievement. You can hear me on the video telling Riley to back away as I filmed. He wanted to be between us and the snake. 

Later on he would bring home an assortment of songbirds. Not many, because I think he learned early on that while I appreciated what he was trying to tell me by bringing home his prizes, I did not necessarily think this was the sweetest thing he could do for us. We could provide for our family just fine, sweet cat, and you needn't feel like you had to prove anything to us. Your place in our home was quite secure. 

All clear for birds. All finches accounted for. 


So much of owning a family pet is about time. It is understood that pets will not outlive you. We have known our share of loss by having to put down our dog Sam after 10 years in our family. So you would think this would get easier. But it's not. Riley was an incredibly patient and tolerant cat. He survived numerous maulings by the resident tow-headed pre-schooler and toddlers in the house, finding a safe refuge in the tub and in the guest room sink. He loved the sink as a kitten, and would often curl himself up there and watch as we would get ready with our day. He held no grudges though because through the years he would make his bed in all of their rooms at one time or another. We think he favored Bumpo's room while we were gone because her bed was covered in fine orange hair when we came back. 


Wow I really like what you've done with the place. But tell me, when are you going to start leaving the butter out again? (2006 mid-kitchen restoration new house)

When he moved into the new house, we had done some research on how to acclimate your pet to its new surroundings. While Sam the Dog was fine wherever his People were, we knew Riley would take a little longer. So we kept him in the guest bathroom overnight in the new house. When we let him out he was like "Screw this crap. Lemme outside to investigate." Within a week he 'made friends' with Mary Cat, the neighbor's cat across the street. After a few months of quarreling (we think she is responsible for the bite mark through his ear) they came to a detente and made peace. While grateful for that, we did miss the harmonious growling and intermittent hissing they would perform for each other underneath Kelly's white car. So far the past 6 years we had a routine in the house. Riley had the run of the neighborhood, and would spend a lot of time outside. 

Which reminds me of one of my favorite memories of Riley. About two summers ago I was watching TV one night and heard what sounded like a baby crying. Concerned, I opened the front door to investigate. There was Riley sitting like a statue on our front porch, ears up and tail tip twitching staring at something out in the dark. After a bit I saw the flash of two iridescent animal eyes and saw a kit across the street. The kit was talking to Riley. Not threatening but almost questioning, a sort of plaintive cry. Like "Hello? You kind of look like me. Could you tell me where my den is?"

 And Riley's silence answering back: 
"Look here kit. We are not related. You are a baby fox and I am a cat. This is not your home. And so help me God, if you set paw on my property I will unhinge the gates of Judgment upon your mortal soul." 

I don't know what the big deal is about this Infinity Cat experiment. Hey but wait a minute...

When we decided to move to Spain for a semester overseas, of course the conversation included what would we do with our animals. Sadly enough I was not overly concerned with what would happen to Riley, because he's always been a pretty independent cat. And as per expected, emails from the family staying in our house echoed that. "Riley shows up for meals, and that is about it", they would say. "He's not around very much". Which was really not terribly concerning for us. Maybe he just needed his space, and the guest room was being used, and he was just trying to find a place for himself in the house again. I always felt convicted about that.

So it was with great relief to me to have Riley welcome us back so openly and freely. These last few months have been a time of  utter adoration from our sweet cat. Each night as Beloved and I would wind down with watching some television in our bedroom Mollie the Dog and Riley would join us. Mollie would get up when Riley would stroll in and have to investigate where Riley was going, like 'Hey now, what you doing? Where you think you're going there?', all the while Riley would march confidently up onto my chest and set there with his paws on either side of my neck and his purr engine revving up. He would climb up onto me, rub his head against my neck and face and then sniff my earlobe, all the while making this short sort of 'chirping' sound. He was totally and utterly completely content, and I was happy to have his company. 

Pictures below were taken Monday, three days ago. Still can't believe he's gone.

You see me? I am so blissed out I have to close my eyes. <3 
 She's mine All mine.  :)
"Your ear...it needs my kisses"
 I look at these pictures now and reminded of what a handsome regal leonine animal he was. He truly was a handsome fellow. 
Riley thank you for taking care of us for these past few years. Thank you for protecting us from the snakes, the mice and the confused baby foxes who lost their way. Thank you for protecting us from those scary neighborhood cats and from being so patient and kind with our children when they were babies. We will never forget you and will always cherish the time and memories you gave us. You were a sweet cat and we were blessed to call you ours. We love you so much. 
Your Family 

No comments:

Post a Comment